Monday, November 10, 2008

Letter 10-27-08

Dear Family,

Well, I am writing a few hours earlier than usual today. Tomorrow is a combined Zone Conference where Elder Pearson of the Seventy is coming. It is located it good ole Midland Texas. This Morning we are driving up to Abilene where we will depart for Midland at 6 tonight. We are going over early to Abilene so that we can hang out with some other missionaries while we are there. So if you intended to email some small note and missed me, sorry.

So I finally got the letters of who the new bishopric back home is…from two different sources…thanks. And that is really surprising. I didn’t expect Jared Larsen to be the new bishop. Isn’t he only in his 30’s? If he’s older, he doesn’t look like it. I guess that’s not too surprising since he was on the high council, but still.

Hey, Annie, that thing that you sent about President Packer’s testimony in his home ward was really amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you haven’t read it, read it. Don’t just read it either, listen and follow closely what it says. We are in perilous times and this nation is on its way to being humbled, and if we’re not prepared, that’s a very bad thing. We need to really pray, read, study, and worship the Lord like we mean it.

I also got some crazy, scary news from home. Emily Hartvigsen is getting married next month. Mom asked me if that’s cool. Um, well, kinda and kinda not. To think that someone that is my age and that I have grown up with and graduated with is getting married scares me. That means that I am, theoretically, old enough to getting married. Yikes! Let’s not think of that too much. I’m not really that old. I’m still a teenager! Well, for another 3 months anyway. But hey, on the bright side, tell soon to be Mrs. Emily congrats for me. You could also make mention that I have yet to receive a wedding announcement on my mission. Let me rephrase that. I haven’t ever received a wedding announcement that was directed right to me. It might be cool to get that on my record, if you know what I mean…

So, I haven’t received any political opinions as of yet, but let me switch the trivia right quick. We have an investigator that is part member family and the dude in that couple loves to ask random questions. One of those questions that he asked this week has to do with a subject that I know a little bit about, but I have never looked into that deeply. He asked what our church’s view on astrology. I know that astrology is looked down on. I remember that mom always says that astrology is the devil’s version of astronomy, but that’s about all I know. So 1 – what exactly is astrology and 2 – what is our view on it? I told him that I would email home and ask about it and I would let him know what the response is really fast. So please, chop chop! Don’t make me a liar!

Well, quite honestly, that is about it for me this week. Our one investigator that was going through a rough time with her dad dying officially dropped us. She was honest with us and I commend her for that. Not everyone is. In fact, most people aren’t. I don’t worry about her. She’s only 26 and will get more chances in the future. Before you say that that is horrible and feel all bad, hold yourselves. It didn’t really phase me because I really didn’t know her that well. The only other good investigator we have, I just barely met this last week and haven’t taught him a lesson, so that’s that. I am doing great. Being in the Branch Presidency is a good experience; it gets me overwhelmed at times, but hey, that’s ok. Dad tells me it’s an omen for the future. I would certainly hope not, but I guess you never know. Lift where you stand, right? Don’t seek for a crown and don’t seek for a cave. Just stand close together and lift where you stand. Don’t aspire to certain callings, but if the Lord calls you, magnify your calling. There are many people that could be in leadership callings, but those callings may not be what the Lord has called them to do in this life.

That all came from President Uchtdorf’s talk in priesthood. When the Ensign comes out, that’s definitely a talk to look at and study. But I have to go now. Bye!

[ELDER DROGE HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!!]


Elder Adam R Droge
The DrogeMiester

No comments: