Dear Family,
Well, two weeks ago was spring break and the computer place we use was closed down because it is associated with some sort of school down here. Last week I deleted my whole letter when I only had 5 minutes left, so you got that shortened letter. However, I did send a letter the old-fashioned way both weeks and I thought that it would only take a few days to get there like I get letters here, but I guess that first letter took a week to get there for some reason. Just know I sent a letter both weeks and that I am alive. I heard a rumor that Byron emailed my very first letter, so maybe he can do the same to the other letters. Either that or make friends with the Bountifulites so you can read them. This week hopefully nothing will go wrong.
So it sounds like Joe had a great birthday, going to Boondocks and getting an I-pod. Congratulations Joe! I’m glad your birthday was great.
I got a disturbing letter from Dave about my little idea of letter writing,
“I know how it is to be a missionary wanting letters, but telling people that you won't email them, especially family, probably isn't the best way to do it. Just because people don't write doesn't mean they don't love you, but perhaps they don't think there is a lot going on that they could share with you. They all still want to hear from you and how you are doing. Don't burn your bridges. You never know, maybe 8 months down the road someone will decide to write, but they certainly won't if you refuse to address them in a mass email. It's just childish.”
You all get a letter this week (thanks for the addresses, by the way Dad)Let me justify myself. Letter writing is a funny thing. I don’t want to make people hold grudges or get them mad at me. I don’t have the idea that if they don’t write me it means they don’t love me. It just seems silly that you always want to hear how the missionary is doing, but you don’t bother to tell me how you are doing. Nothing to write about is silly. There are many, many things going on in this world. Almost all missionaries come back stuck in the year they left. If nothing is going on in your life then you can always write about what is going on in the outside world. I am an information type person. I love hearing information that most people think is useless. Tell me about your classes. What happened in the news or on your favorite TV show or the latest movie you just went to see. I don’t want to be stuck in 2008. When I write to others and they don’t respond back at all, it feels like I just wasted a bunch of my time. I want evidence that people are reading and they do care about what I have to say. I love you all and I know you all love me. I’ve seen that letter writing is pointless and if you want to know what is going on in my life, then you’ll tell me what’s going on in yours, otherwise I’ll write someone that I know is interested, because my letter-writing time is limited. I’m trying to break this trend of being stuck in February 2008.
Anyway, before I go on, there are a few addresses of people that I’d like to get. 1-Julien Woodbury – I need to apologize for not telling him about my call and maybe do a little missionary work. 2 – Kenny Adair – He is the Korean guy that works at Arctic Circle. He is going to Texas on his mission and I want to give him a heads up so we can keep in contact.
I have ran into a few Spanish people down here. Greg, since you know Spanish, you can teach me how to do a basic Spanish door approach. Something like, we’re missionaries and we would like to give you card for a free copy of the book of mormon. Call the number so you can get one. Also, can we send some Spanish missionaries to talk to you? Something like that. That would be awesome.
Anyway – I thought a good way to tell about me was through 2 phrases combined – The Good, the bad, and the Ugly combined with Good, better, best. Here we go
Good – There was a guy we ran into that was talking like he was another anti-mormon guy and we were about to leave, but he said he wanted to read our Book of Mormon. That shocked me. That never happens. We gave him a copy. I wonder what will happen. Good things happen to those who read the Book of Mormon, no matter their intent.
Bad – people down here truly believe that we are not Christians. Its kinda funny. Example – We ran into a lady who we started talking to and she interrupted us and said, “You Know, I believe that Jesus is my Savior.” As if we didn’t and almost shut the door on us when we explained that we believed the same thing. Hello!!! We’re the Church of JESUS CHRIST people. How are we not Christians? Oh well.
Better – I actually got into a few houses and taught some people. It’s a miracle! There’s actually people in Texas that are willing to listen! I got here the 10th and didn’t lesson to an investigator until Easter, then we got 2 more lessons since then. Yay!
Ugly – Now here is a horrible story. The ward mission leader told us about a guy that went on a mission, and a good mission at that where he was a zone leader, AP, and everything, went home, got married in the temple, graduated BYU then totally flipped, left the Church, and went anti-mormon and won’t even let his kids get baptized. We ran into him mowing the lawn yesterday. He’s completely atheist. He thinks that there is no God. Bible is a joke. Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, Pearl of Great Price are all false. Religion in general should be stopped and is a complete waste of time. Wow. I feel bad for that family. The good thing is that his wife is strong and his son wants to be baptized before he leaves to BYU-Idaho. The whole ward has no idea what happened. It’s a confusing and sad story. Like it says in Alma 12:15, he’s going to have to stand before god one day and admit to his everlasting shame that God’s judgements are just. I feel bad for the guy.
Best – My first Zone Conference was last week and it was absolutely amazing. It was a spiritual feast all day. We have a great mission president that is a really powerful speaker. It was awesome.
Anyway, that is all for now. Everyone have a great week. Talk to you later!
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment