Sunday, April 20, 2008

Letter 4-07-08

Dearest family,

Well, if there was any debate as to whether or not me not sending emails to anyone was a good idea...um, well...its worked...I got people motivated to write and that was the idea...

In response to some of your letters -

Annie - My companion's name is Elder Hill. He is from a small town in Idaho called Kerry. It's near Sun Valley. I have no idea where either of those towns is, so I can't help you if you are wondering that. Living with members is really fun. The guidelines are pretty strict, but we are lucky enough to meet the guidelines with the couple we are living with. They are great. One of these days I will remember to take a picture of them and the house to send it.

Greg - So you started your letter by saying Wendy was pregnant and got me all excited. CURSES!!! You also made fun of my handwriting. How dare you! My handwriting is wonderful. I can read it perfectly. Just for that I won’t send anymore handwritten letters to the family. I will to friends though. That is if they write me first. Which brings up a point. Email. If you haven’t heard. I can do email, but I can only email family and I really have only one hour once a week. I have to write a letter to the family and to the mission president. And if you know me well enough, you know that I can get carried away easily and write long letters, so 2 letters in one hour takes up my time pretty well. Last week I checked the emails first, wrote my letter, did a pictures letter, and was about to write the president when I was out of time. I didn’t get my letter to the president in and I felt guilty all week long. So priorities are going to be changing. I will write my letter to the president first, then to the family, then I will send some pictures, then if I have time, I will check any of the emails I get. Consequently, if you decide to email me, it may be that I don’t actually read your email for a few weeks so its best to send your letters the old-fashioned way.

Joe – I got a kick out of the comic you sent me and it now on the back cover of my study journal

Bruce – You are signed up for high school now? Holy Cow! We’re all really old. I’ll be 20 next year. Yikes. Oh by the way, I’m still taller than you, right? Ha Ha! And by the way, why did Chikeze go home? I liked him. Keep the American Idol updates coming. I wrote out my predictions based on your top 12 that you have sent out and so far I am doing OK. My top 4 is still in there. David Cook. Michael Johns. Brooke White. David Archuleta.

Dad – I loved the poem. I made a new section in my study journal where I will write those poems down and look over them occasionally. Keep them coming ☺. I haven’t been chased by a dog yet. Not really anyway. There have been a few little dogs that think they are a lot bigger than they really are and have tried to chase us on our bikes and eat us up, but they do much and are easy to scare away.

Thanks for all your other letters. I enjoy them. Remember that most information that many people think is useless is information that I like so you can write me just about anything. Thanks Annie for the political update. I haven’t received an update outside of that. No one has told me about March Madness or the NFL offseason, so I hope someone will step up to the plate. All that I heard about March Madness is that all four number 1 teams made it for the first time in history. Crazy. That never happens. I heard that from a member by the way, so someone should write me and tell me more.

On to my week. Good – We ran into a muslim guy. He invited us back, so we haven’t taught him yet, but he did spend 45 minutes telling us his views on things. That was interesting. We got in and taught a devoted Catholic. He loves hearing from different religions so that’s why he let us in. He did say would read the book of mormon again, so that is good. He went from I won’t change religions, to I probably won’t change religions, so I guess you never know. At least he knows what he is rejecting, unlike most people here who avoid us because of all the false rumors they hear.

Bad – My sinuses have been horrible all week long and I fought a sore throat for a while and a bad cough. I’m getting better, but that was no fun

Better- We have a few investigators that are really progressing. It is great to see. I’ll let you know if anything comes out of it.

Ugly – Revelations 22:18. That scripture has been thrown out at us at almost every door. Its horrible. It says that if anyone adds to the book of this prophesy than the plagues of this book will be added upon him. People see that as meaning the Bible and it causes them to not believe ongoing revelation. Its sad. Good thing we have Elder Holland around. Which leads me to my last point.

Best – Conference was amazing. Let me tell you about the winners in my view as a missionary in random order.

1st – Elder Holland. That talk was beautiful. Throwing down the idea that God doesn’t work by ongoing revelation and explaining how he does, as well as bringing up specifically Revelations 22:18 and explain the real meaning and countering everything beautifully that people take from it.

2nd – Elder Bednar. Missionaries are full time teachers and members are full time finders. Take that to heart and go over how he told every member to pray about teaching the gospel to friends.

3rd – Elder Christofferson. That talk about Being Born Again was beautiful and really made me understand what that phrase means because everyone here says they are born again.

4th – Elder Nelson. A gospel, Plan of Salvation, and a throw down against saved by grace all in one.

5th – Elder Perry. His talk was lesson 3 for us. All we would have to do is play that to our investigators and be done.

6th – Elder Hales. Way to go to lovingly throw down on the Trinity. That was awesome. Jesus doesn’t pray to himself in the Bible and doesn’t introduce himself in there.

7th – Elder Oaks. Bear testimony lovingly and meekly to the people who are anti-mormon. Something I definitely have thought about doing otherwise and I need to change my mindset

8th – Elder Scott. Possibly the most underrated apostle. I never hear anyone talking about him but I love how he lovingly condemns and his talk about abuse was beautiful.

9th,10th,11th – President Monson. President Eyering. President Uchtdorf. I can’t forget our first presidency. We have an amazing first presidency. I will really enjoy hearing them talk twice a conference for the next 10 or 15 years. Elder Uchtdorf’s talk in priesthood about correcting our ways is one to really go over.

Oh, by the way, is F Michael Watson, who got ordained to the 1st quorum of the seventy, the Elder Watson that I am thinking of?

That’s all for this week. Keep your letters coming.

Love,

Elder Droge

No comments: