Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Letter 12-30-08

Elder Adam R Droge
2523 Ent
Big Spring, TX 79720

Dear Family,

I didn’t expect to email my address until next Monday, but you are lucky this time. I’ll explain it later.

It was really good talking to everyone last week. It really did make me feel better. Like I said, we got the call on Tuesday and I wasn’t very happy about it. Sometimes it’s hard because we don’t see the big picture to everything. We just see the small picture and sometimes it doesn’t make sense. That’s the lesson I learned. I didn’t like the idea of closing Eastland because I see the huge potential there. It is incredible. However, since there are missionaries still covering it, I did my best to make sure it’s not forgotten. So I made a big detailed list of our investigators, potentials, less actives, etc, to make the Abilene missionaries feel overwhelmed in having to cover such a great area. Sunday we went and said our goodbyes and Sunday afternoon there were two different members who asked us for a list of our investigators so that they wouldn’t be forgotten and so they could progress. That made me feel even better. Also, if you remember, my first companion in Eastland was Elder Sosi, the Samoan. Well, he went to Abilene after Eastland. Eastland was his favorite area. He loved Eastland and Eastland loved him. Well, when we told him Eastland was closed, he felt about like us. Destroyed in spirit. However, we found out last night after we left Eastland to camp out in Abilene for the night that Elder Sosi has been assigned as the Abilene missionary in charge of Eastland. That makes me feel a lot better. Yeah, I was depressed because Eastland was closing, but I didn’t see the big picture and now that I do, a little anyway, I have the faith that the area will be fine in our absence and of course I put my faith to action and did all that I could.

But that’s that. District meeting last week was cool. The assistants at zone conference talked about consecration and said that they will come by all the districts to pick up things that we wanted to consecrate. Not necessarily apostate things, but things that we thought got in the way, even if it’s a sheet of paper saying ‘I will wake up on time’ or ‘I will spend half of lunch studying’ or something like that. It was really cool. I found it cool that Greg said that they did a similar thing in his mission so ask him about it. I thought it was really cool and good for the mission. Wednesday at district meeting that is what they did. I feel kinda bad, because for the life of me I couldn’t find much to consecrate. I still can’t decide if that’s a good thing or a bad thing, but hey.

Yesterday was crazy. We were expecting to pack and clean Monday while leaving Tuesday morning. Well, we got a call from the assistants at 10 o’clock Sunday night saying that we had to be packed and have the apartment spotless by 1 in the afternoon the next day. So we scrambled and what ended up happening is that we did our laundry at a 24 hour laundry mat and packed Sunday night until 4:30 in the morning. After 2 and a half hours of sleep, we got up and cleaned all of Monday. Turns out the office elders that were supposed to get there at 1 to close our apartment weren’t there till 4, so that gave us some breathing room. We got finished cleaning at 5 PM. It was ridiculous. An experience that I don’t wish to repeat. So that’s why I didn’t email yesterday. No time.

About today though, transfer day, like I said, I have this strange desire to serve in all 5 zones, so I was hoping to make it north. Well, I also really wanted to spend a long time on the transfer bus. I love the bus ride because you get to meet a ton of missionaries, talk with everyone, and catch up on sleep. That’s why I was slightly annoyed when I got off at the first stop last time. I wanted to be on longer. Well, today we started at Abilene at 9:30 AM. Still good opportunity to make it north and have a long bus ride. Well, the first stop was in Big Spring, Texas at 11:30 AM. We get there and what do you know. Elder Droge is getting off. NOOOO!!!!!!!! NOT AGAIN!!!!! Oh well. I get a short bus ride again and stay south, but Big Spring will be great. For information on it next week, give you the anticipation of knowing what it is like. Here is the address though, in case you didn’t catch it the first time:

Elder Adam R Droge
2523 Ent
Big Spring, TX 79720

I am signing off, now. Peace out!

Elder Adam R Droge
The DrogeMiester

No comments: