Monday, August 3, 2009

Letter 8-3-09

Dear family,

So I told you that some interesting things were going to happen this week. I want to start off by giving a scripture:

"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, have miracles ceased because Christ hath ascended into heaven, and hath sat down on the right hand of God, to claim of the Father his rights of mercy which he that upon the children of men? For he hath answered the ends of the law, and he claimeth all those who have faith in him; and they who have faith in him will cleave unto every good thing; wherefore he advocateth the cause of the children of men; and he dwelleth eternally in the heavens. And because he hath done this, my beloved brethren, have miracles ceased? Behold I say unto you, Nay; neither have angels ceased to minister unto the children of men." -Moroni 7:27-29

In 1999, President Gordon B. Hinckley issued the commission to double the baptisms in the mission. From the conception of the Texas Lubbock Mission in 2002 through 2008, the TLM dwindled at a mere 20 baptisms a month. In November of last year, Elder Kevin W Pearson of the first quorum of the seventy paid a visited and chastised us, reissuing the commission given by President Hinckley. Many missionaries, including myself, with President Robison being the most important, were inspired and the TLM has been shooting to double baptisms ever since. We set a goal for 35 baptisms as a stepping stone for 40. If you remember, in June we topped that, hitting 38 baptisms for the month. We celebrated that and set the goal for 40. Well, last Monday, President sent an email telling us that the mission had baptized 38 people so far in July. There were 5 days left and 2 to 5 were scheduled for baptism before the months end. The goal was in sight. On Thursday, July 30th, we hit number 39. One day left. The next day, on Friday the 31st of July at 6:30 PM in Canyon, Texas, the 40th person of the month was baptized. We did it. Just as Mormon says, miracles have not ceased. Who would've thought that a mission in the belt buckle of the Bible Belt, full of a heard-hearted and stiff-necked people could ever accomplish such a great task. I am grateful to have witnessed this miracle. We have done. We have double baptized. Now the goal is to continue upward and onward.

The other interesting news of the week is that this last week was transfer week. Last Sunday in Eastland, my companion Elder Reed received his senior companion call. I pretty much knew that my time in Eastland was up and that was affirmed Monday morning. After a total of 9 great months in Eastland, I have left. I will miss that place. A lot of great memories with a lot of great people. Tuesday morning, I got on the bus and took a 5 to 6 hour bus ride where I was dropped off in New Mexico. From the transfer site I drove with a member for 2 hours to my new area. Roswell, New Mexico. The UFO capital of the United States, full of a bunch of crazy people. My new companion refers to this place as the Babylon of the mission. Drugs, crime, rape, and murder are through the roof. 8 months ago someone was killed outside our apartment complex. A few weeks ago there were 6 deaths in one weekend. Last week, we walked up to a young girl, asked her how she was. Her response, 'Not very good. I was raped last night and my homeboy doesn't even care.' Oh dear, where have they sent me? On top of that, the town is 50,000 people big with 2 wards. I'm back in a big city with a big ward. I feel lost right now. I got quite comfortable serving in small towns and in small branches for this past year. My new companion is named Elder Dave Wheeler. He is 6'7 and 300 pounds. That is big, but he started out at 420 pounds when he came out, so he is doing good. He goes home at the end of this transfer and is very trunky. He reminds me several times a day that he is going home in a month. It is quite bothersome, but I'll make it through. We are in a co-senior companionship. That I don't mind. It's nice having 2 experienced missionaries teaching. Anyways, I have to go, but I'll leave with my new address.

Elder Adam R Droge
112 E 23rd St #11
Roswell, NM 88201



Elder Adam R Droge
The DrogeMiester

No comments: