Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Letter 2-23-09

Dear Family,

Well, this last week has been great. I am settled back in Eastland and we've started to see a lot of success in teaching lessons this last week. I'm at a loss for what to say really. I guess the scary thing is that I hit 1 year this last week. That is freaky. I've been doing a lot of pondering recently. This last year has gone by way too fast. I feel that I have just barely started my mission and now it is half way over. I don't really want to go home. Yes, I miss all of you, but I am enjoying myself too much here. Being a missionary gives me lots of purpose in life. I feel useful out here, like I am doing something that is really important. I've heard that the last year goes by a lot quicker than the first year and if that is true I will be home in a jiffy and that doesn't sit well with me. It gives me more perspective on life. I have learned a lot. I have learned how important it is to do the small simple things that most of us take for granted at times. Reading our scriptures. Praying, morning and night. Going to church. Partaking of the sacrament. Singing hymns. Most of all, we are blessed to be members of this church. Not many people are. There are so many millions of people in the world that haven't been blessed as great as we have. It's quite sad, yet we should be praising the Lord constantly for the great blessings we have received in our lives. There are many called, but few chosen. Think on that. We have been called, but just because we are members of the church doesn't mean we are chosen. Believing that the church is true isn't enough. We need to act upon that and do all that we can to purify our selves and purify our lives and get out of the world. I know that I have come to the point in a missionary's life where I have become an afterthought. You all have gotten used to me being gone, so it doesn't phase you. I've seen that, but it doesn't matter because me being at home has been an afterthought as well on my end. Texas has become my home and I am loving it here and the fact of me hitting a year and knowing that I will so be going back home to Utah makes me sad. The older missionaries that I was raised with have been going home or are close to going home. My trainer goes home in a few weeks and he will be my first companion to go home and after that they will drop like flies and I will be left alone. Anyway, life is great, I hope everyone is doing good and staying true to the faith. Bruce and Joe, do your best to prepare for your missions right now. I heard that constantly growing up but never hit me that I would actually go on a mission, so I never took it too seriously. The time will come where both of you will have to make that decision to serve and it is closer than you think. Much closer. The more prepared you are the easier it will be to make that. If you make the decision to go, it will truly be the best decision you will ever make and the best way to prepare is quite simple. All those classic sunday school / seminary answers. Read your scriptures, pray, go to church. And don't just do it to do it. Take it seriously and it will bless you throughout your mission and throughout your life. Peace out All!

Elder Adam R Droge
The DrogeMiester

No comments: