Monday, April 13, 2009

Letter 4-13-09

Dear Family,

Happy Easter everyone! Thanks you for those who participated in sending the Easter package. That was very good. I say was, but I mean still is. It’s not gone quite yet. And, hey, thank you for finding the wedding ties that I had been wanting. That really made my day. I’m only a few ties off my goal now. The goal is to get to the point where I can wear a different tie every day of the transfer. That would mean 42 ties. I’m at 37 or 38. 5 more ties to collect. Don’t be amazed at that. That is actually quite a small number compared to some missionaries I know.

This last week was zone conference. At zone conference we were made aware of a certain number. Back in November we were given the commission by Elder Pearson to double the baptisms here. For the last 6 years in this mission, the average per month has been 20 baptisms a month for the whole mission. To double baptize, we would need to get a consistent average of 40. Well, for the first 3 months of this year, we have made an average of 30. We are almost there. Baptisms are possible. The Texas Lubbock Mission is a baptizing mission. We are shooting for a goal right now to average 35 per month. Then once we hit that, we’ll jump up to 40. Once we hit 40, then we will celebrate by having the whole mission get together at the Lubbock Temple and get a picture. It’ll be great. You can help me by praying for this to happen. I have confidence that it won’t take more than a few months to make this happen.

So yesterday on Easter, we were eating dinner with one of the senior couple missionaries that are serving in our area, Elder and Sister Romero. Sister Romero told a great story that gave me inspiration and I felt like sharing it. Sister Romero’s brother is very less active. Less active for 40 years. One day she was really stressed. She had tried her hardest to help him, but nothing was working. As she pondered, a voice came to her mind that said this, “Remember, he’s my son, too.” That is very good counsel that we should all remember. I look at the people here in Eastland, especially less active members and investigators that are struggling. I try to think about what more I can do. Sometimes I get frustrated because I work my best to get them to listen and they just don’t. Nothing I try works. Sometimes I have to step back and remember that Heavenly Father knows each one of his children and will do far more than I can ever do. When the time is right, he will lead his lost children back and we need to be patient. Truly patient. Study patience in Preach My Gospel, chapter 6. It teaches that patience is enduring without getting frustrated or anxious. If any of you have any friends that aren’t members or are less active members, do what you can to help when the spirit prompts you, but don’t get frustrated when they don’t listen. Be patient and don’t push them over the edge. Remember, they are heavenly father’s son as well and he will lead them back. Joseph Smith, when asked why his people listen to him and follow his teachings so closely, responded, “I teach them correct principles and they govern themselves.” Do your best and leave the rest up to the Lord. That is my counsel for this week. Have a great week everyone.

Elder Adam R Droge
The DrogeMiester

No comments: