Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Letter 3-17-08

17 Mar 08

Dear Family,

No email this week. Spring Break. The place we go is closed right now. So I gave you my address, but we moved from that place. I guess it was a temporary thing. We actually moved into a member’s home. They are doing that all over the states to cut down on cost. It’s really nice because the member’s home is nice and clean while the missionary apartments are a piece of junk.

Here’s the address for that:

Elder Adam R. Droge
4512 Cardinal Lane
Midland, TX 79707

You can put that one on the blog. I still need someone to send me everyone’s email address. So we are going to play a little game when I get those addresses. Usually it’s the missionary trying to earn letters, now it’s the family trying to earn an email. If you don’t write me, you won’t get an email directly from me. You’ll either have to make friends with Shawn, Dave or others that write or make the Elder Droge blog your new favorite website. If you aren’t in the family, I can’t email you, but if I get a letter via snail-mail. I will send you a letter back. That’s a promise. I need convincing that non-family members actually exist. I’ve got no letters that way.

On to Texas now, it’s very different from Utah. No mountains. Everything’s flat. It makes bike riding easy, when the wind isn’t blowing 50 miles an hour. It’s almost like that every day. It’s horrible. The grass is all yellow. The stoplights are sidewards, but the people are all really nice and polite. However, out of like 100,000 people in Midland, only 1,000 are members. That means 99% of the people are not members. Probably 99% of those people are all really religious, they are just all Baptist and Catholics - really stubborn and hard-hearted. No matter what I say, no one listens. I feel like Noah preaching repentance to the people and they all laugh and don’t listen. Many run away or don’t answer just because they see us. We spend most of the time knocking doors and getting them shut in our faces or getting preached to by hardcore Baptists who believe that they have already been saved by grace just because they have accepted Jesus as their Christ. I wish it was that easy, get baptized and believe in Jesus and then I’m done and can do whatever I want for the rest of my life.

It’s a small world. President Rose will be returning to Salt Lake in July and the new President, President Robison, is from Bountiful and lives somewhere around 500 North and 400 East. A hop and a skip away from the Droge home. I’ve ran into Alden Gray, who served in Mexico City North and knew Ariel Miller and Bryan Kerr. A guy in our ward served in the MTC with Steve Abercrombie and another sister in our ward, Mandy Zifford, was in Byron’s single ward, was the ward choir director there, and knew Byron. I’m doing good, my companion is great. The people here in Midland are wonderful, and I hope I get to teach my first lesson sometime soon. I look forward to hearing from you all.

-Elder Adam Droge

p.s. Midland is the hometown of President George Bush. Which reminds me, what’s happened in the political race?





No comments: